Over the past years, Search Engine Optimization has been ever-changing perpetually.
Google has taken it seriously that the users get the right content for the queries they look for. And for that, various updates have been made in their algorithms from the past year. Based on my observations, I’ve prepared a list of SEO trends that are gaining momentum in 2018.
Search Engine Result Pages (SERP) features:
A Search Engine Results Page (SERP) is a page displayed in response to a query by a web search engine. A user can find different elements on the page. These elements can depend on the device that people use.
The Google SERP explores the trending of Knowledge Graphs, Advertisements, Images, Related search, site links and organic results that enhance the user experience in search engine results.
Let’s take a closer look at some SERP elements that have updated in 2018.
The SERP elements are of Two types, Organic and Sponsored.
Organic Elements include:
- Knowledge Graph: It is an element displayed in the search box appeared on the right side of SERP. The usual purpose of Knowledge Graph is to get knowledge about a topic/person/product a user is searching for. So, you need to optimize your content to provide answers for efficient search queries related to your website’s topic.
- Local 3-Pack: Many people, who are searching for organizations/restaurants/hospitals/hotels etc, do not see websites instead they search for a location, opening hours and reviews. So, this element represents three results like company name, address, phone number and ratings.
- Featured Snippet/Rich Snippet: A rich snippet is the content appeared on the top of a SERP that contains a summary of the user’s answer. It can display in many formats based on the type of information to be featured. Those formats include:
- Lists (Ordered an unordered list)
- A short clip of video
- Rich snippets include ratings, prices and availability.
- Image Packs: Providing relevant images to the queries.
- Site links: It is improved to display hyperlinks to website subpages and makes it easier for the users to navigate a website easily.
- Voice Search: 30% of adults perform voice search at least once every day. 20% of mobile queries are voice searches. Day-by-day the ratio of voice search is growing faster than type search.
Sponsored Elements :
- Several advertisements are featured at the top and bottom of the SERP results. The green “Ad” label informs searchers that they are clicking on a paid advertisement.
So, How to get featured by optimizing your content with SERP?
- Optimize your website’s content for local search.
- Get your business listed in local directories.
- Create another page for each targeted question
- State the question directly on the page
- Ensure there are no broken links on your site.
I feel some of these SEO elements are the latest updates in 2018.
If you’re interested in seeing how these SEO trends develop, stay tuned to your favourite SEO communities.