An application icon is a kind of logo that represents the application. A perfect app logo attracts the attention of user’s attention to the product or service.
A unique and easily identifiable mobile app icon (logo) can have a huge impact on the popularity and the success of the app. But, exactly are app icons and how make a perfect app icon? Here are the few tips you can use to optimize the design of your app icon.
- Make it recognizable: App icon is the first thing users see before they decide to download an application. These are not logos. They are the visual representation of the application. So, make it recognizable.
How to improve recognizability?
When you search for “Calendar” app in App store, you will find different app icons showing the same calendar. So, too different elements in icon may leads to the user’s confusion.
- Identify the common colors and symbols.
- Try to design simple, relevant and unique shapes
- Make simple icons: As said earlier, too many different elements in your app icon may impact on your app success.
How to improve simplicity to your app icon?
Look at your design, and check for something that you can remove from the icon without losing its recognizability.
- Try designing your app icon and make sure that your icon will be understood by the users.
- Make sure it’s scalable: Your app shows up on the app store at various places and at different sizes. So, a simple app icon design looks great in all shapes and sizes.
How to improve scalability?
- Design your app icon in different sizes other than normal 1024px
- Apply the rules of simplicity and make sure that icon looks good against a variety of backgrounds.
- Keep your app design with brand consistency: The purpose of the app icon is to visually communicate with users. Your app icon must go with your brand. If you haven’t build a brand yet, keep the color of your app same as your website to connect with the users easily.
How to improve consistency?
- Check your app icon colors is same as your brand
- Validate the symbols of your brand and icon.
- Improve uniqueness with different backgrounds: It is very important to grab the attention of the users with unique app icon design. Choose a simple color theme that goes well with your brand.
How to improve uniqueness?
Try your app design with different backgrounds and make sure that there is no transparency.
An ideal app icon should be unique and simple. Hopefully, the tips mentioned above will help you to design a good app icon.