You’ve been doing SEO for months by now. But nothing you do seems to be helping you to break onto the first page. “What’s happening?”
Sometimes in our quest for scoring higher ranks on search engines, it is quite common to get carried away and make a few mistakes in SEO. Such SEO errors could be hurting your search engine rankings. Employing poor SEO practices can result in lower website rankings, poor user experience and eventually your business would be buried in search engine searches. Remember, if a search engine cannot get to your page, neither can your users.
Whether it is hare-brained mistakes or quite serious ones when something went wrong with SEO, you can lose your business and brand’s identity very soon. So, you can’t can’t keep wondering about this situation for long. You need to get rid of the SEO pitfalls immediately.
MISTAKE #1: Lack Of Responsive & Mobile-friendly Web Design
With the advent of mobile connectivity, mobile browsing has been growing steadily for years now. People are online through smartphones and tablets now more than ever. So, responsive and mobile-friendly web designing is at a high requirement to meet the needs of the users. If your three-column website layout can compress into a single column display and works the exact same way across any mobile device, then you nailed SEO to the core.
Now, let’s see how is SEO related to the design. If users can’t easily navigate your website, or can’t find your mobile version interesting, it’s improbable that they will stick around. This ultimately affects your SEO because search engines do not like to display less popular sites. So design a clean, crisp and mobile-friendly site to please your users.
MISTAKE #2: Duplicate & Low-Quality Content
Duplicate or low-quality content has no place for higher ranks in SEO. Content can be in multiple formats – it could be in the form of your product display pages or product descriptions, it could be in the form of blogs or the homepages. If you present garbage writing on your website, the user immediately bounces back – does no good to SEO.
Now when we say “No Duplicate Content” it means no duplicating of substantive content pieces within as well as across multiple domains. To diversify the results, search engines rank only the most relevant content and do not rank the duplicate sites to the top levels. Duplication of content leads to the dilution of the visibility of your site on SERPs. So make sure that each page on your website has an explicit purpose and uniqueness, so neither the search engines nor the users get confused.
A Few Common Mistakes To Avoid:
- Non-Canonical URLs – If two or more URLs brings the user to the same page such URLs are non-canonical. And, search engines do not rank non-canonical URL’s well.
- 404 Error URLs – Maintain a count of zero on URLs that result in 404 error.
- URLs Redirects – Minimize the URL redirects.
- Unique Pages – Avoid pages that are canonical to another version.
MISTAKE #3: The Wrong Keywords
Keywords are critical to top the process of matching your website content to the keyword phrases used by your target audience. Mentioning your keywords in the title tags, descriptions, opening paragraphs, especially on the most important pages of the site are the basics of a good keyword strategy. And, success in SEO starts with the basics.
The right keyword research process is always your ticket towards finding success in SEO. But if you optimize your website with the wrong keywords, then you end up with the wrong audience.
Keyword Research – Important Points To Keep In Mind:
- Be specific – Use long tailed keywords to appear in front of the most potential customers.
- Do competitor analysis – Analyze keywords on your competitor’s sites and compare those to your own to determine which is more commonly searched.
- While using core keywords for SEO, be sure that they won’t hold you back in the future. In case you expand your business in the future.
- See keyword(s) that your website is ranking for. Google Keyword Planner is the best tool to do this.
MISTAKE #4: Poor Social Media Strategy
Most of us do not know the fact that businesses who have active social media presence often see higher search rankings. Building a poor social media strategy or not showing a lot of importance to social media activities is definitely a pitfall for SEO. Social media acts as one of the best ways to build backlinks when you influence people to promote your content. Also, social media networks are search engines and help you drive traffic to your website. A good social media presence of your business serves as a big boost to the SEO efforts.
How Social Media Improves SEO:
- Social media content is indexable by search engines. When content picks up massive momentum on social media, then content indexation process speeds up.
- Users following social media links lead to an increase in traffic to your website. Thereby improves SEO.
- Social media serves as social proof. The more your company is mentioned (social mentions) or tagged, the better your search visibility will be.
MISTAKE #5: Lack Of Monitoring
Monitoring SEO progress is vital to see how your SEO efforts are paying off and accordingly plan the further procedures. What if your SEO plans are only bringing very few or no potential traffic to your website? If you don’t monitor the SEO performance then tackling the issues and maintaining a successful optimizing program becomes really difficult. So, know about the problem sooner rather than later. A track, measure and analyze the performance for further going.
Two Major SEO Analysis Tools To Begin With:
- Google Analytics: This tool offers excellent data tracking and lots of cool reporting options.
- Google Search Console: This tool does provide an ample amount of keyword data, and helps you track your rankings for specific keyword phrases.
With the tools mentioned above, one can easily keep a track of top exit pages for organic traffic, keywords ranked in google, the density of organic traffic, organic bounce rates, organic conversion rates, pages indexed, etc. This analysis helps you to avoid committing any mistakes in your further SEO practices.
End Of The Tale:
Search Engine Optimization is quite a tricky task to do. You can build a thousand strategies to push your business to the front rows of SERPs. But if your strategy has flaws in it then even if your attempts reach a count in billions, you might not see the result you’re expecting. Let not simple mistakes kill your brilliant strategies.
Now that you have picked our brains enough, it’s your turn to share your thoughts. Tell us – What is the most common SEO pitfall you see? We are all ears at the comments section below!